Monday, August 14, 2006

Absinthe


Absinthe, Jack Ketchum and Tim Lebbon. Bloodletting Press 2006. Limited 500. Compared to the last two in this series by Bloodletting, I was a little disappointed. Wormwood Nights and Eye of the Guardian had such depth to them, whereas Absinthe is just two short stories. Ketchum's tale is interesting and I liked it, but it was predictable and flat. I thought Ketchum would make great use of his secondary character, but he didn't. He just left him. And Lebbon's tale was rather anticlimactic in the same way: predictable. And it didn't have to be. Like I said, though, I expected more from the series due to the last two pieces, and I'm a fan of Jacob and Garton. Ironically, I have yet to enjoy a Ketchum (though, admittedly, I haven't read much at all) or a Lebbon story. Lebbon is just not my kind of writer, but I do find his Assassin series entertaining.

No comments: